Seven Tips for Buying DIY Corian Style Counters
When it comes to upgrading your kitchen, you don't want to skimp on your countertops. Much more so than appliances, poor quality countertops will prematurely age your kitchen. But if you've been shopping around and looking at Corian pricing, you may be put off by the expense of Corian solid surface kitchen tops. What you may not know is that you can save thousands of dollars by installing your Corian counters yourself. In fact, there are kits available that make it relatively easy for the do-it-yourselfer to install high quality Corian style counters. But how do you gauge reputable companies? Here are five tips for picking a winner:
1. Customization: The company you choose should make your Corian style counters to fit your kitchen's specific size and shape. They should come with a 1-1/2 inch front edge, and be prepared and ready for joining at the intersecting corners.
2. Selection and Pricing: The company should have a wide variety of Corian colors from which you can choose, and should offer samples at a minimal cost so that you can make your final selection. The pricing should run about 50 to 60 percent of what you would pay to buy Corian counters and have them professionally installed.
3. Communication: You should be able to send the company a drawing of your kitchen layout and the dimensions of your countertops by fax or email. The company should then review your information and provide you with a list of the materials you will need to install your Corian style counters. They should be available to answer questions throughout and after the installation process.
4. Shipping: The shipping charges should be based on your location, and be shipped using a dependable and reputable carrier. Your Corian style counters should be packed in a wooden pallet that is fully enclosed and covered with top boards, plywood ends, and cross-bracing on each side. The crate should have a form core that will absorb any shocks encountered during shipping.
5. Instruction: While installing Corian style counters isn't exceptionally difficult for a seasoned do-it-yourselfer, it does require precise instructions. Ideally, the company you choose should provide written instructions (either on their website or in a booklet), as well as a DVD demonstration video. The best companies also hold Web seminars to help you learn how to install your solid surface kitchen tops.
6. Warranty: The company you choose should offer a ten-year warranty, providing you install the countertops according to their instructions. Most companies require that you keep leftover material from the installation, since replacement material won't be an exact match to the Corian colors you chose.
7. Testimonials: Corian style counters are a big investment, even if you choose to install them yourself. Look for testimonials from the company you're considering, as well as any media coverage they may have received. If they have a solid track record of satisfied customers, chances are you'll be able to count yourself among them.
Ram Mounts Articles
Ram Mounts Books